We’ve been busy coming up with sandwiches for Burt’s Chips Ultimate Crisp Sandwich project. Some have been disasters (you won’t read about those!) The second one we had great fun making was a classic with a modern twist. Search for #ultimatecrispsandwich on Twitter and get the latest on this excellent summer campaign.
Yes, its a Cheese and Pickled Onion Sandwich. The culinary heights we go to at Eating Exeter eh?!
This has a nifty trick in it though, where you marinate the onions in balsamic and sugar in a bowl. This adds a whole new onion based dimension to the recipe. If you’re worried that Eating Exeter’s recipes are a bit weird, fear not! Tom Allbrook has created us a lush lamb recipe.
If you want to try these crisp recipes for yourself, head to the Burts website and take your pick!
INGREDIENTS (makes 2 sandwiches)
- 2 x 40g bags Burts Sea Salt and Malted Vinegar Crisps
- ½ red onion peeled and sliced into rings
- 2 tbs red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 ripe tomatoes sliced
- 150g mature cheddar cheese grated or sliced
- 2 tbs mayonnaise
- 4 slices thick wholemeal bread buttered on one side
- Place the onion rings into a bowl along with the vinegar and sugar and leave to stand at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Start to build the sandwiches by spreading the mayo onto two slices of bread, lay on the sliced tomatoes in a single layer then pile on the cheese.
- Divide on the red onions then finally add on loads of Burts Sea Salt and Malted Vinegar Crisps.
- Pop on the second slice of bread and steam in.